Mandarin (guan-hua) is the average language spoken in China. 400 million people or 30% of the population do not speak Mandarin the other 70% speak Mandarin. Mandarin is the official language spoken in Mainland China. This language is based on the Beijing dialect that is spoken in Beijing. Almost every city in China has its own variation of Mandarin and each of these could qualify as a Mandarin dialect. In large cities there are more people communicating with foreigners. Some may master a second foreign language like French, German, Japanese, Italian or Spanish. However in rural or remote areas very few people can speak English or other foreign languages.